Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Media Overload (Part 2: Fireproof)

Nikki and I went and saw Fireproof on Sunday afternoon! It was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time! It was really great! Even if you aren't married, you should still go and see this movie! It will change your life. It did mine! It has changed how I treat others, especially my wife. It's a perfect example of how Christ loves us and a guide as to how to treat your spouse!

Since I didn't finish this blog during one sitting, I've had time to think about why I loved this movie so much. I don't want to give too much of the movie away but this is what I've come up with:

I love how the movie made me think about the way I treat my wife and other people. I know that I am no where near perfect in my attitudes and actions towards people. It shows sometimes in the way I interact and treat people. Does that sound bad? Well, it sort of made me feel bad. I can be selfish. I can be hard headed. I am guilty of not listening (or not "hearing"). But this movie made me take a look at my life and see that I am like that and that that's not how God wants us to be. He wants us to be like Him. Compassionate. Forgiving. He wants us to love others the way He loves us. Even though we don't deserve His love and forgiveness, He gives it freely because that's who He is. Even though we may think that others around us don't deserve it, God commands us to love them anyway. Ephesians 4:32 says, "Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."

1 Corinthians 13 is famous because it is the "Love Chapter". The following passage is from verses 4-8 and describes what God says love is and how we should display it to others. "Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.

I know the movie was fictional but the way I felt when I left was real. It was a real slap in the face. It made me want to become a better husband, a better friend and an all around better person. I really hope that you will take time to go and see this movie. I promise that you won't be disappointed and that it will change your life!

No comments: